Even though I consider myself an avid reader, I’ve read very few of the “classics” and I really want to read more. It’s summertime and it’s blasted hot, so I tend to stay inside a little more and I couldn’t think of a more perfect time to dive right in. Ok, so here’s the list of “classics” that I have read. (I’m going off of a list from the Public Library of Cincinatti).
1. All Quiet on the Western Front (Not gonna lie; I wanted to shoot myself in the face while reading this, but I managed to finish it)
2. Beloved (Well, half of it, but then I got freaked out. My overactive imagination does not need any help, so I guess that doesn’t really count, does it?)
3. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Do I remember any of it? No.)
4. The Call of the Wild
5. Gone With the Wind (Love, Love, LOVED it!) – my most recent read
6. The Great Gatsby (kind of need to read that again, too)
7. The Scarlett Letter
8. Their Eyes Were Watching God (I started it, but the library was getting mad at me. I’d really like to start that one again.)
According to that list, those are the only ones I’ve read (sort of). So, I think I’m going to start out with Crime and Punishment? (aka: This is the only available classic at the library right now.) Honestly, please tell me if this is a mistake. The book has 449 pages. Have mercy.
I would be SO glad if you all wanted to comment/argue with my opinions and thoughts. Sometimes, I can’t figure out for the life of me why some of these books are “classics,” so it would be nice to get someone else’s opinion. Who knows? Maybe I’ll change my stance and be converted. Again, please tell me if I should NOT read this book. Otherwise, I’ll start it, maybe hate it, and then feel like a failure at life.
Also, if you have any other suggestions as to which I should start on first, feel free to let me know! That being said, it doesn’t have to be a classic. I just love books! So, throw one out there!
Feeling a little ambitious and scared all at the same time (What did I just get myself into?),
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is an incredible book! You’ve got a lot of ambition to be starting big books like that! 🙂
Well, that certain one wouldn’t be my first choice, but it’s the only one on down the list that the library actually had!
Do you have a Facebook page or Twitter? Would love to follow you there, I’m on my iPhone and love reading your stuff!
You can subscribe to my site and it will email you when I make updates or you can find me on facebook under my name. =)
Great review! This is truly the type of article that needs to be shared around the web. Shame on the Google for not positioning this blog post higher!